The construction of the national giardinis begun in 1907, when Biennale Arte gave countries the permission to present national artistic proposals independently.
The Greek Pavilion was built in 1934 by architects M. Papandréou and B. Del Giudice. The rhythm of the pavilion is neo-byzantine and served as a reminder of the “greekness” of Byzantium, a crucial matter at times of national balkan antagonism.
In the recent editions artists such as Diohandi (2011), Stefanos Tsivopoulos (2013), Maria Papadimitriou (2015), George Drivas (2017), Panos Charalambous, Eva Stefani & Zafos Xagoraris (2019) have represented Greece at the Venice Biennale.
Exhibitions at the Greek Pavilion are commissioned by the Hellenic Ministry of Culture and Sports.